Friday, March 2, 2012

Spelling City: Homophones

This week, we will be studying homophones for our spelling words. Homophones are words that sound the same, but have a different spelling and meaning. For example, the words "great" and "grate" are homophones. Although they sound the same, they have different meanings. "You look great!" is not the same meaning as "Where is the grate for the barbeque?" For a fun video about homophones with singer Brian McKnight, please follow the link below:

http://pbskids.org/lions/videos/?pid=jlxn0UPSPVhu8rltZelQOprWACkv_V5W

Need help studying your spelling words? We have the perfect site for you! VocabularySpellingCity is a website that helps students learn their weekly spelling and vocabulary words while having fun at the same time. The site will teach you the words and has many games that you can play to help you learn them. This week you will need to make sure to identify between the two meanings of the word. For the test, we will give you the word, and a sentence with the word in it. You will have to decide which spelling you will need to write down. Good luck, and have fun studying!

http://www.spellingcity.com/view-spelling-list.html?listId=8288521&x=47deb

10 comments:

  1. Solar energy has gone from being the great white hope, to an impediment, to a reliable energy supply. Solar farm operators and homeowners with solar panels on their roofs collected more than €8 billion ($10.2 billion) in subsidies in 2011, but the electricity they generated made up only about 3 percent of the total power supply, and that at unpredictable times.



    Solar Power MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spelling city! I practiced my words by having the site give me a practice spelling test. It really helped me learn my words!

    Stan 0-12

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went on a spelling test it helped me alot!I love spelling city!!!!!!!!! brandon williams O-4

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the match it sentance game it helps me know my meanings.nidhi R-16

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to try and spell my words on hangmouse soon I will remember all my words.

    Cullen R-8

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took a test and played pack rat and two word searches




    Malachi


    i took a test and played pack rat and a word search

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE SPELLING CITY!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love Homophones

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love spelling city ! I think Mrs.McLeod showed us in second grade and it helped me alot ! Before the Homophone test I studied using spelling city. Thats how I got my grade!!

    Yuri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Homophones are hard you need to practice them if they are hard!
    love
    Jordan:)

    ReplyDelete